The Australian College of Nurse Practitioners (ACNP) is the national peak body for Nurse Practitioners and Advanced Practice Nurses in Australia. The ACNP is active in advancing nursing practice and improving access to health care.
Registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA), Nurse Practitioners are focused on improving access to treatment, providing efficient, cost-effective care, and dedicated to improving health outcomes of all Australians, particularly those designated as at-risk populations, such as aged care, indigenous populations and general primary health care in remote and rural and regional areas.
The Nurse Practitioner scope of practice enables legal request and review of the most appropriate diagnostic tests, initiation of referrals to and from relevant healthcare providers, prescription of necessary medications and collaboration with nurse and other healthcare professionals to ensure the provision of holistic care.
Please feel free to explore, learn more about the Australian College of Nurse Practitioners (ACNP), Nurse Practitioners and how to become a ACNP member.
Visit the History of the Nurse Practitioner movement in Australia for insight into the origins and development of the Australian Nurse Practitioner role.
- Surprising joy in enriching quality of life experiences 16th June 2021 Nurse practitioner Anita Wild dreamed of bringing new life into the world, not being witness to its passing. But as is the case with best-laid plans, life had other ideas. Then, one day, as an undergraduate nurse working in Melbourne, the spark of a new passion took hold. ... more
- Meeting with the Health Minister 26th May 2021 Today we met with the Minister for Health & Aged Care, Hon Greg Hunt MP, to discuss the role of Nurse Practitioners in Australia’s health system. ... more
- Courageous change urged as emergency departments struggle to meet demand 29th April 2021 Chris O'Donnell shares views on how Nurse Practitioners can contribute to ongoing improvements to the care of patients. ED staff blame a number of factors, including increasing number of people in mental health crisis exacerbations of chronic conditions and older adults being admitted from aged car... ... more
- Electronic Prescriptions Virtual Webinar 23rd June 2021 Electronic prescriptions provide an option for Nurse Practitioners to provide your patients with a digital prescription as an alternative to a paper prescription. more
- QLD Chapter Members Meeting - 23 June 2021 23rd June 2021 Aims of the Meeting: 1. An opportunity to be updated by your State Chapter Chair 2. Provide feedback to your State Chapter Chair more
- WA Chapter Members Meeting - 14 July 2021 14th July 2021 Aims of the Meeting: 1. An opportunity to be updated by your State Chapter Chair 2. Provide feedback to your State Chapter Chair more
We would like to thank our Champion Corporate Partners