Heather May Herrick Scholarship Program
The scholarship is named in memory of Heather May Herrick. Heather received outstanding care, including palliative care and pain management from a Nurse Practitioner which made a huge difference to Heather and her family. After a long battle with cancer pain, thanks to a Nurse Practitioner, her last 2 months of life were comfortable. In appreciation for the unique role of the Nurse Practitioner in Australia and the outstanding work that they do, Heather’s family has funded a scholarship program aimed at supporting more Nurse Practitioners and Advanced Practice Nurses to deliver services to people like Heather.
In 2021 we are expanding the criteria and adding more scholarships for this conference, as Heather’s family recognise this last year has been so challenging due to the 2019/2020 bushfires and COVID-19. These changes support attendance at our National Conference on the Gold Coast on 3rd - 6th March 2021, if you work in the following fields:
- Pain Management
- Palliative Care
- Members Working towards Advanced Practice or a Nurse Practitioner role
New categories for 2021
- Aged Care (added for 2021 only)
- Loss of employment due to COVID-19 shut down, for more than 6 weeks.
- Loss of employment due to the fire emergency 2019-2020
- Loss of house or business due to the fire emergency 2019 -2021
- Loss of business due to COVID-19 - reduction in services ability by more than 30% for more than 6 weeks.
- Loss of income due to quarantine time for work related travel (e.g. AUSMAT teams) or illness.
- Financial hardship due to practice isolation - solo regional NP practices
10 Scholarships are to be awarded each year over 5 years from 2019 - 2023. Attendance at the Conference (March 2021) in the same year of application/award is required for the scholarship to be granted. Each Scholarship will consist of $1,000 and is to assist with registration and travel costs to the ACNP National Conference, for face to face attendees. Please note: Awarding of the Heather May Herrick Scholarship to previous recipients may occur after a three year break.
This scholarship is in conjunction with the Australian College of Perioperative Nurses (ACORN)
- Applications Open: 12 January 2021
- Applications Close: 29 January 2021
- Recipients Notified: 5 February 2021
All announcements are to be held in confidence until the conference.
Please note: Awarding of the Heather May Herrick Scholarship to previous recipients may occur after a three year break.
Please see the documents outlined below for full details of the Scholarship.
Congratulations to the following Recipients of the 2020 Heather May Herrick Scholarships.
- Priscilla Peart – Victoria (NPC) Emergency & Acute Care
- Sruthy Raju – Queensland (NPC) Chronic Disease
- Natalie Spence – South Australia (NPC) Aged & Palliative Care
- Samantha Mulholland – Queensland (NPC) Primary Health
- Karly Carruthers – Victoria (NPC) Emergency & Acute Care
- Sally Evans – Victoria (NPC) Emergency & Acute Care
- Ruth Ikobe – Victoria (NP) Aged & Palliative Care
- Lynley Buckley – Queensland (NP) Aged Care
- Khera Kim – Queensland (NP) Aged Care
- Melanie Press – New South Wales (NPC) Primary Care
Congratulations to the following Recipients of the first Heather May Herrick Scholarships.
- Amor Kisling
- Elizabeth Hristov
- Fiona Gillaners
- Khera Kim
- Kylie Cross
- Melanie Press
- Melissa Hanson
- Monica Attard
- Robyne Hingley
- Sue McDonald
Awardees with Stephen Herrick (Centre) and Andrew Herrick (Right)