Prescribing and Pharmacology workshops (online)
WORKSHOP OVERVIEW (updated from 2022)
The 2023 Prescribing & Pharmacology virtual workshop features updated content (based on member feedback). The course builds on prior knowledge with emphasis on the Nurse Practitioner’s role in safe and effective prescribing using a patient-centred approach.
Session 1: General update | What’s New in Antimicrobials | Cardiovascular | Diabetes
- General update on legislation, scheduling, PBS, TGA alerts, resources, e-prescribing, guideline changes and reviewing the drug list
- What’s new in antimicrobials – resistance and vaccination
- Cardiovascular updates – new risk assessment guidelines and heart failure
- Diabetes updates
- Case studies
Session 2: Psychotropic medicines | Respiratory updates | Gastrointestinal
- Psychotropic medicines covering antidepressants and antipsychotics – switching therapies
- Reducing anticholinergic burden
- Respiratory updates
- Gastrointestinal – reflux and constipation
- Case studies
Session 3: Pain Management | Gynaecological drugs | Medication issues for people with chronic disease
- Pain management covering osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis and fibromyalgia
- Gynaecological drugs – contraceptives and menopausal replacement therapy
- Medication issues for people with chronic disease & disabilities
- Case studies
Each session covers a different topic so please ensure you are available to attend all three sessions when you register for the course.
- Thursday 4th May 2023
- Thursday 11th May 2023
- Thursday 18th May 2023
- 7pm – 9pm AEST (ACT, NSW, QLD, VIC, TAS)
- 6.30pm – 8.30pm ACST (NT, SA)
- 5.00pm – 7.00pm AWST (WA)
- This workshop is held online via Zoom
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Endorsed Nurse Practitioners
- Advanced Practice Nurses
- Nurse Practitioner candidates and students
- Health professionals
Dr Jenny Gowan (PhD, Grad Dip Comm Pharm, PhC, FACPP, FPS, AACPA, MSHPA)
Jenny is a practicing pharmacist, Adjunct Senior Lecturer at Monash University and Clinical Associate at RMIT university. She is the Vice President of the PSA Branch committee, and an Editorial Board Member of AUS-DI (Drug information), Guidelines Committee for the National Asthma Council Australian Asthma Handbook, and RACGP Silver book for Aged Care.
Jenny is an accredited consultant pharmacist, and conducts her own company focusing on medication reviews in the home and Aged Care Facilities as well as Quality Use of Medicine consultancy. She works regularly in community pharmacy plus sessions in a GP clinic at a Community Health Centre. Jenny has published over 500 educational articles and presents hundreds of talks annually.
In 2010 Jenny received the Sanofi-Aventis award by the University of Sydney, in 2013 the PSA Australian Pharmacist of the Year and in 2016 Jenny was the AACP-MIMs Consultant Pharmacist of the Year.
- 6 hours* (2 hours per session)
REGISTRATION FEES (includes all 3 sessions)
Use the PURCHASE TICKETS button on the top right of this page
- ACNP members: $198.00
- Non-members: $330.00
Not an ACNP member? Join now and save money on this registration
T: 1300 433 660
*Conditions apply. Please refer to the ACNP CPD Policy found here.
Certificates of participation will be issued upon successful completion of an online quiz after the workshop.
1300 433 660
In-person interactive workshop Presented by Dr Jenny Gowan ...