NP Week 2018
Nurse Practitioner Week 2018: 10 - 16 December
Each year the ACNP holds Nurse Practitioner Day on the 12th December to celebrate an important milestone for the nursing profession. This date was identified as a date of national significance, as the first nurse practitioners were endorsed in Australia in the year 2000 - Ms Sue Denison and Ms Jane O’Connell.
Sue stated “It was a defining moment when my colleague Jane O’Connell and I were announced in Parliament as the first two Nurse Practitioners in Australia.”
Now 18 years later, there are more than 1729 nurse practitioners endorsed with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia and the ACNP would like to continue to promote this important career pathway for a new generation of nurse practitioners in Australia.
In previous years the ACNP has celebrated Nurse Practitioner day on the 12th December. In 2018, the College would like to extend the celebrations to a full week with Nurse Practitioner Week commencing on the 10th December and finishing on the 16th December 2018.
NP week will help to:
- Provide greater scope for the ACNP State Chapters to organise events in their respective State/Territories.
- Enable members, nurse practitioners and the community to get involved in a celebration that is running during the week.
2018 Theme: Share Your Story
- The theme for Nurse Practitioner Week in 2018 is “Share Your Story.”
- This theme addresses the incredible stories of Nurse Practitioners around Australia. As part of our national campaign “Transforming Health Care” many NPs are telling their stories as to why they became an NP, what difference they are making in the lives of their patients/clients and their communities and what is so unique about their role as an NP.
Nurse Practitioner week is an opportunity for all NPs to share their stories and help to assist in the celebration and education of the role of NPs across Australia.
Nurse Practitioner Week toolkit:
Your campaign toolkit helps to provide ACNP State Chapters, members, nurse practitioners, advanced practice nurses and organisations with materials that they can use to promote Nurse Practitioner Week. Within this toolkit you will find:
- NP Week Toolkit
- Digital Elements
Key messages for Nurse Practitioner week:
- Nurse Practitioners around Australia all have amazing stories as to the difference they are making in the lives of their patients/clients.
- Nurse Practitioners work in collaboration with health professionals to deliver quality care to clients/patients.
- Nurse Practitioners have many unique differences in their role as a Nurse Practitioners.
Call to action “Share your story”
The call to action in 2018 for Nurse Practitioner week is to encourage all NPs in the community to share their story. All NPs have amazing stories as to:
- Their journey to become a Nurse Practitioner
- Why they are a Nurse Practitioner?
- The difference Nurse Practitioners are making every day to their patients/clients and to the Australian health care system
- What makes a Nurse Practitioner so unique?
- Download Posters
- Digital Elements
- Host your own event
- Social Media
- Share Your Story
Events taking place:
If you have an event taking place during NP Week, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will list your event on the website.