The Australian College of Nurse Practitioners (ACNP) is the national peak body for Nurse Practitioners and Advanced Practice Nurses in Australia. The ACNP is active in advancing nursing practice and improving access to health care.
Registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA), Nurse Practitioners are focused on improving access to treatment, providing efficient, cost-effective care, and dedicated to improving health outcomes of all Australians, particularly those designated as at-risk populations, such as aged care, indigenous populations and general primary health care in remote and rural and regional areas.
The Nurse Practitioner scope of practice enables legal request and review of the most appropriate diagnostic tests, initiation of referrals to and from relevant healthcare providers, prescription of necessary medications and collaboration with nurse and other healthcare professionals to ensure the provision of holistic care.
Please feel free to explore, learn more about the Australian College of Nurse Practitioners (ACNP), Nurse Practitioners and how to become a ACNP member.
Visit the History of the Nurse Practitioner movement in Australia for insight into the origins and development of the Australian Nurse Practitioner role.
- Private Practice and Business for Nurse Practitioners Webinar Series - Session 2 15th February 2023 Setting up your own business - the basics more
- Private Practice and Business for Nurse Practitioners Webinar Series - Session 3 22nd February 2023 Basic Financial and Practice Arrangements and Billing more
- SAVE THE DATE National Members Meeting 7th March 2023 ACNP National Update followed by State and Territory Chapter Meetings more
- ACNP MEDIA RELEASE: Australian College of Nurse Practitioners welcomes strengthening Medicare announcements 3rd February 2023 “Leanne Boase says ‘Minister Butler is right, we cannot afford to have highly trained health professionals not working to top of scope. Since the NP role was introduced in Australia over 20 years ago, we have never been able to work to our full abilities and training.” ... more
- ACNP MEDIA RELEASE: Australian College of Nurse Practitioners welcomes bold Medicare reform 23rd January 2023 'In many other parts of the world, Nurse Practitioners work to their full abilities in Primary Care, delivering excellent health outcomes, however in Australia, we are still struggling to even use them effectively' ... more
- Nurse Practitioner Week 2022 30th November 2022 The Australian College of Nurse Practitioners (ACNP) will be hosting the annual Nurse Practitioner (NP) Week from the 12–18 December 2022. The theme of NP Week is ‘Nurse Practitioners: the essential difference in healthcare.’ ... more
- Regulator issues warnings over unproven IV treatments 25th November 2022 * Warnings have been issued over concerns unproven IV infusion treatments may be being marketed inappropriately across Australia. * Concerns have been raised that popular IV treatment claims are not supported by a medical justification or scientific evidence. * Registered health practitioners may ... ... more
- New Legislation for Nurse Practitioners to wipe University debt working in rural/remote areas 11th November 2022 The Australian College of Nurse Practitioners (ACNP) is delighted to learn on the 10 November, legislation was passed by the Federal Government that will ensure Nurse Practitioners who live and work in the most remote parts of Australia will have their HELP debt wiped. ... more
- Congratulations Lesley Salem 17th June 2022 The ACNP would like to congratulate Lesley Salem, Nurse Practitioner and ACNP Member, for receiving an award as a Member (AM) in the General Division of The Order of Australia for the Queen’s Birthday 2022 Honours List. Lesley received her AM for significant service to nursing and to Indigenous heal... ... more
- Vale Emeritus Professor Judy Lumby 9th February 2022 The Australian College of Nurse Practitioners is saddened to learn of the recent death of Emeritus Professor Judy Lumby. Judy was a vocal supporter of the nurse practitioner role, and was instrumental in the early development of the nurse practitioner role in Australia. ACNP members have also sent s... ... more
- Nursing organisations condemn Morrison Government for failures in aged care 2nd February 2022 The country’s peak nursing organisations today stand together to condemn the Morrison Government for its failure to protect Australia’s nursing home residents, and the nurses and care workers doing their utmost in a sector that has been overwhelmed by COVID. And, at a time when the latest COVID outb... ... more
- Ongoing opposition to the role of the Nurse Practitioner 27th January 2022 Recently the Australian College of Nurse Practitioners (ACNP) has seen some media articles and statements from medical lobby groups in relation to the 10 Year Nurse Practitioner Steering Committee that forecast a need to ‘tussle’ with nurse practitioners again1, 2. We must consider who the real cas... ... more
- HELP initiative for Rural Nurse Practitioners and Doctors 6th January 2022 This new initiative announced in 2021 reduces outstanding Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) debt for eligible doctors and nurse practitioners who live and work in rural, remote or very remote areas of Australia. Information has now been published on the Federal Health website regarding the HELP ... ... more
We would like to thank our Champion Corporate Partners