The Australian College of Nurse Practitioners (ACNP) is the national peak body for Nurse Practitioners and Advanced Practice Nurses in Australia. The ACNP is active in advancing nursing practice and improving access to health care.
Registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA), Nurse Practitioners are focused on improving access to treatment, providing efficient, cost-effective care, and dedicated to improving health outcomes of all Australians, particularly those designated as at-risk populations, such as aged care, indigenous populations and general primary health care in remote and rural and regional areas.
The Nurse Practitioner scope of practice enables legal request and review of the most appropriate diagnostic tests, initiation of referrals to and from relevant healthcare providers, prescription of necessary medications and collaboration with nurse and other healthcare professionals to ensure the provision of holistic care.
Please feel free to explore, learn more about the Australian College of Nurse Practitioners (ACNP), Nurse Practitioners and how to become a ACNP member.
Visit the History of the Nurse Practitioner movement in Australia for insight into the origins and development of the Australian Nurse Practitioner role.
- Just Listening: Alternatives in Understanding Emotional Distress Pre Conference Workshop 12th October 2022 The workshop will provide an overview of the Just Listening model that has been successfully delivered as an alternative to emergency departments and other mental health services in SA. The Just Listening model provides an alternative way to be with individuals in emotional distress and incorporates... more
- Prescribing and Pharmacology Pre Conference Workshop - SOLD OUT 12th October 2022 Session 1 - Key issues & What’s new Session 2 - Practice Update Sessions Session 3 - Case Studies more
- Contraceptive Implant (Implanon NXT) Insertion and Removal Training Pre Conference Workshop 12th October 2022 Contraceptive Implant (Implanon NXT) Insertion and Removal Training more
- Congratulations Lesley Salem 17th June 2022 The ACNP would like to congratulate Lesley Salem, Nurse Practitioner and ACNP Member, for receiving an award as a Member (AM) in the General Division of The Order of Australia for the Queen’s Birthday 2022 Honours List. Lesley received her AM for significant service to nursing and to Indigenous heal... ... more
- Vale Emeritus Professor Judy Lumby 9th February 2022 The Australian College of Nurse Practitioners is saddened to learn of the recent death of Emeritus Professor Judy Lumby. Judy was a vocal supporter of the nurse practitioner role, and was instrumental in the early development of the nurse practitioner role in Australia. ACNP members have also sent s... ... more
- Nursing organisations condemn Morrison Government for failures in aged care 2nd February 2022 The country’s peak nursing organisations today stand together to condemn the Morrison Government for its failure to protect Australia’s nursing home residents, and the nurses and care workers doing their utmost in a sector that has been overwhelmed by COVID. And, at a time when the latest COVID outb... ... more
We would like to thank our Champion Corporate Partners