The Australian College of Nurse Practitioners (ACNP) is the national peak body for Nurse Practitioners and Advanced Practice Nurses in Australia. The ACNP is active in advancing nursing practice and improving access to health care.
Registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA), Nurse Practitioners are focused on improving access to treatment, providing efficient, cost-effective care, and dedicated to improving health outcomes of all Australians, particularly those designated as at-risk populations, such as aged care, indigenous populations and general primary health care in remote and rural and regional areas.
The Nurse Practitioner scope of practice enables legal request and review of the most appropriate diagnostic tests, initiation of referrals to and from relevant healthcare providers, prescription of necessary medications and collaboration with nurse and other healthcare professionals to ensure the provision of holistic care.
Please feel free to explore, learn more about the Australian College of Nurse Practitioners (ACNP), Nurse Practitioners and how to become a ACNP member.
Visit the History of the Nurse Practitioner movement in Australia for insight into the origins and development of the Australian Nurse Practitioner role.
- Nurse Practitioner Day - NT 12th December 2023 The ACNP (NT Chapter) will be celebrating Nurse Practitioner Day on 12 December 2023. Face to face sessions will be held in Darwin & Alice Springs but there will be an opportunity for others to connect online. more
- SA Chapter NP week morning tea 13th December 2023 The ACNP (SA Chapter) will be celebrating Nurse Practitioner Day on 13th December 2023. more
- UniSA Nurse Practitioner Program Information Session with ACNP 13th December 2023 UniSA Nurse Practitioner Program information session hosted by the Postgraduate Nursing team. more
- ACNP MEDIA RELEASE Australian College of Nurse Practitioners welcomes announcement of expansion of the nurse-led walk-in centres in the ACT 18th October 2023 The Australian College of Nurse Practitioners welcomes the announcement of the expansion of the nurse-led walk-in centres in the ACT. Integration of the walk-in centres with the federally funded Urgent Care Centre Clinic network will result in a greater number of health services being available to ... ... more
- MEDIA RELEASE - Australian Nursing Peak Organisations: New models of nursing care will provide solutions to the ageing population 25th August 2023 The Intergenerational Report, released yesterday, predicts that Australia’s population is expected to climb to 39.8 million by 2060-61, a million more than the previous projections for 38.8 million released in 2021, and pass 40 million by 2063. Additionally, Australians are expected to live longer w... ... more
- ACNP Media Release 23.08.2023 23rd August 2023 The Australian College of Nurse Practitioners represents 1900 members across the country, including Nurse Practitioners, and Advanced Practice Nurses, and we are the national peak body for Nurse Practitioners. For far too long communities such as Cardwell have been left behind by Governments. We wan... ... more
- National Stroke Week: White Paper ACCESS TO MECHANICAL THROMBECTOMY IN AUSTRALIA 11th August 2023 ACCESS TO MECHANICAL THROMBECTOMY IN AUSTRALIA ... more
- Medical abortion pill access expanded in landmark move 12th July 2023 Medical abortion pill access expanded in landmark move. Access to medical abortions will be dramatically expanded in Australia under major changes that will allow all doctors and nurse practitioners to prescribe the pregnancy termination pill, and all pharmacies to stock it. ... more
- Read the transcript of Assistant Minister Kearney's interview with Lisa Miller on the TGA decision on MS-2 step. 12th July 2023 Television interview with Assistant Minister Kearney and Lisa Miller, ABC News Breakfast - 11 July 2023 Read the transcript of Assistant Minister Kearney's interview with Lisa Miller on the TGA decision on MS-2 step. ... more
- TGA decision on access to medical terminations 12th July 2023 TGA decision on access to medical terminations The Government welcomes the Therapeutic Goods Administration’s decision to remove a number of restrictions on health professionals who prescribe and dispense MS-2 Step (mifepristone and misoprostol). https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-ged-k... ... more
- The Australian College of Nurse Practitioners welcomes the announcement today from Assistant Minister Ged Kearney in relation to the removal of barriers for women to access MS-2 step. 11th July 2023 The Australian College of Nurse Practitioners welcomes the announcement today from Assistant Minister Ged Kearney in relation to the removal of barriers for women to access MS-2 step. ... more
- ACNP joins the Immunisation Coalition to promote the benefits and importance of Flu Vaccination 10th July 2023 ACNP joins the Immunisation Coalition to promote the benefits and importance of Flu Vaccination. ... more
- Doctors’ orders for MPs: stick to 60-day scripts 10th July 2023 Doctors’ orders for MPs: stick to 60-day scripts- An exclusive article from 'The Australian' ... more